Apr 2, 2009

Admiral Browning - Magic Elixir Ep Art

So here's the lastest thing I worked on, a digipak design for my friends Admiral Browning. They had the concept and approached me with doing a narative about their "Snidley Whiplash" character selling his snake oil if you will, or Magic Elixir. They had most of the panels already planned out and wanted it to appear like white ink on black paper which was the biggest challenge. After getting the ideas and sketches down I had to go through a few different techniques and approaches before I finally found the one that works and would look good. One I used was drawing over the sketches with a tablet in Photoshop, which didn't work at all.

Finals:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's the process:

Thumbnails:

Photobucket

After we had the right idea I did some rough sketches:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's where it got tricky and I spent some time figuring out what to do. Eventually I figured out a technique, here's how it worked out:

I started by drawing and scanning rough sketches or using the original rough sketches and adding tones to them in Photoshop then printing a lighter version of them on black vellum which has a gray tint. After that I drew in the blank areas with white colored pencil. Kind of like a coloring book but adding cross hatching and style. I also had to plan it all out in Photoshop before I drew it so I would know it would fit. Here's the stuff I printed onto the vellum and some of the mock ups I did in PS:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

After I drew them on the black vellum i scanned them and assembled them in PS or fixed them. The only one that didn't need any work was Snidley selling to the people, the rest went through alot of changes especially the cover which was taken apart and redone in Photoshop. If you wanna scroll back up and see the difference be my guest.

Final drawings:

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Presto!