Mar 15, 2010

Sasquatch and House of Broken Promises Poster & ideas

Here's one of my latest posters:
(click on images to make larger)



I read a quote recently by an artist who said something to the effect of "the better the idea, the easier it is to execute". I agree with that and have another to add to it: The more complete and fleshed out the idea, the easier it is to execute.

The idea for this one started off as a dream I had about a demonic creature with a two promged tongue with skulls on it. I think I was sick and can't say if the idea was all mine or my subconscious. I woke suddenly and jotted down the image of the tongue but didn't have the rest of the face in my memory. When it came time to do this poster I had a few good ideas but nothing seemed to fit the heavier hard rocking nature of the bands, so I developed the two tongue demon idea further until I had something to use. It was a good idea but not fully fleshed out and need more sketches than usual. Normally I'll have an idea that I use right off the bat, a few sketches for composition and form but not for content. The idea process for thsi poster was backwards or longer and I was insecure about it for awhile but knew it was right after finishing the drawing.

Here's the sketches:

With the tongue idea and the following sketch:


More ideas, maybe making him on fire:



The beginning of the eyes part, just a riff on the trend of adding eyes above eye to create an optical illusion:



Notes on how to execute it in Photoshop and how to draw the final Black and white line drawing:



Final sketch before I go & try to do the final drawing:

2 comments:

Sean Schock said...

I love your progress blogs! i can look at process pictures for hours.

Skillit said...

Thanks man! Thanks for checking it out too.

I should have some more work up soon, waiting on dates for a finished poster and working on a longer CD package project right now.