Jan 15, 2013

Soundgarden King Animal 2013 tour poster contest entry


UPDATE: I made the finalists! Vote on Facebook here! https://www.facebook.com/Soundgarden/app_247436055289326?utm_source=Voting727&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Voting727

Growing up in the burbs in the 90's meant that no matter how much I tried to fight it the wave of "grunge" and Seattle bands was bound to hit my shores and at least leave a dent. I didn't get pursuaded by Nirvana and Pearl Jam at first, I remember listening to Public Enemy on the bus to middle school when the kids around me were passing around Nevermind, but eventually Soundgarden convinced me there was something smarter out there in big loud and heavy rock n roll for me beyond Guns and Roses and Metallica's the Black album leaving me stale and unfufilled. Through Soundgarden dropping names in interviews and picking their opening bands I got into bands like Tad, Kyuss, the Stooges, Meat Puppets, Monster Magnet, COC and so on and so on. From there I got into the art associated with these bands and art that worked with or looked like the music I was hearing. So you can thank Soundgarden for getting me into the music I'm into now and setting me on this path of taste for the smart, heavy, psychedlic and sometimes weird art.

That's my paragraph on Soundgarden and why I entered this contest. Here's a paragraph on the poster: I flew up to Seattle from LA for their show at the Gorge in 2011. On our drive back from the show the nest day we went through the Wenatchee National Forest and saw alot of amazing trees, mountains surrounded by clouds and signs for bigfoot tourist areas. I thought what would be the King Animal of the Northwest and figured it was bigfoot. I think it relates to Soundgarden being a heavy and sometimes mysterious band.

You can view my poster entry here: http://creativeallies.com/creations/2zb2/contests/727/design-a-commemorative-tour-poster-for-soundgarden

I made the Editors Picks which I was pretty stoked about, I'm on page 2 here: http://creativeallies.com/galleries/rzf-Editors-Picks-Soundgarden

Here is a time lapse of the process using versions I saved over the process. 60+ hours of work in 2 minutes!



Here's a bunch of images that are most likely in the youtube video, click on them to get a closer look:









2 comments:

Brodie Perkins said...

Nicely done bud! Can't wait for Feb!

South Bay Goldners said...

Awesome shit man!